Saturday 20 February 2010

The Brit Awards 2010

I have finally managed to watch the entire show and I will now proceed to rip it to shreds.
For the awards, in italics is who I thought would win and underlined is who did win the award.

Lily Allen opened the ceremony and I must say I actually quite liked her pretty odd performance. It's weird to think that this time last year 'The Fear' hadn't even been released yet. She's done well this past year and to me she seemed very happy as she was performing.

Brits Performance of 30 Years
Spice Girls - 'Wannabe' / 'Who Do You Think You Are' (1997)
Don't really have much to say about this, especially considering that the only shortlisted performance that I actually remember was Girls Aloud's one from last year.

British Male Solo Artist
Calvin Harris - Dizzee Rascal - Mika - Paolo Nutini - Robbie Williams
I don't think that you could watch this and manage not to be happy for Dizzee he was well deserving of this award.

Where do I start with JLS? Well their entrance was just tacky to be honest and the lighting towards the start just made it look like whoever was doing the lighting had fallen asleep. They really need to sort their stylist out, I mean really, the one that looks like a monkey looked like he was trying to reenact the Kylie 'can't get you out of my head' video and it also annoys me greatly that he lifts up his top every ten seconds just to get little teenage girls screaming at him, put it away for god's sake. Finally, they shouldn't have had dancers behind them, there was just too much going on onstage. However I will grant it to them that they sang pretty well...

International Male Solo Artist
Bruce Springsteen - Eminem - Jay-Z - Michael Buble - Seasick Steve
I would have loved for Eminen to win this.

Brits Album of 30 Years
Coldplay:A Rush Of Blood To The Head - Oasis:What's The Story Morning Glory
I don't have a problem at all with what Liam Gallagher did at this point.

Kasabian performed a song called 'Fire' whilst being surrounded by fire, hello originality. Purely from watching this one performance I am unable to grasp what it is about Kasabian that makes them a good live band. The crowd seemed well up for it but I feel like Kasabian are similar to Enter Shikari in that people think that they are good live, go to see them live and then believe that they were good when they weren't. I will admit I could be wrong because I have never seen Kasabian live, but that is my opinion on them.

British Breakthrough Act
Florence And The Machine - Friendly Fires - JLS - La Roux - Pixie Lott
JLS were by no means deserving of this but it's a given that if it is their fans voting for them to win, they will win. I would have been happy for any of the other nominees to pick up this award. JLS did not breakthrough, they were merely lifted up.

Critics' Choice Award
Ellie Goulding
I love her, I love her, I love her, I love her. She looked amazing. I also love how genuinely overwhelmed she still was about receiving her award. I hope she does well this year.

Lady Gaga was alright. I'm not bothered that she didn't do one of the big hits. I like Gaga, I think she's a brilliant popstar but I am getting a bit bored of it all now.

British Group
Doves - Friendly Fires - JLS - Kasabian - Muse
When I heard that Tom from Kasabian had fallen over when going to receive this award I assumed he had just tripped up. I was not expecting that beast of all falls, it was brilliant.

International Breakthrough Act
Animal Collective - Daniel Merriweather - Empire Of The Sun - Lady GaGa - Taylor Swift
I would have loved for Animal Collective to win this but that was a pretty big ask. An obvious win for Gaga.

The collaboration performance of the night was Dizzee Rascal and Florence and the Machine which was by faaaaaaaar the best performance of the night and that song is due to chart in the top 10 tomorrow night.

Then there was this weird bit from Prince Harry, I can't remember what it was about but his face at the end was absolutely priceless.

International Female Solo Artist
Lady GaGa - Ladyhawke - Norah Jones - Rihanna - Shakira
I don't know why I thought Rihanna would win this...

British Female Solo Artist
Bat For Lashes - Florence And The Machine - Leona Lewis - Lily Allen - Pixie Lott
Very surprised that Lily Allen got this one.

Jay Z, Alicia Keys and this godforsaken song are all just getting on my nerves now. I can not take this much longer.

International Album
Animal Collective:Merriweather Post Pavilion - Black Eyed Peas: The E.N.D. - Empire Of The Sun:Walking On Dream - Jay-Z:The Blueprint 3 - Lady GaGa:The Fame

Despite Cheryl Cole's exceedingly poor miming her performance was very pleasantly surprising and I actually quite enjoyed it. I liked that she didn't just do a standard performance of 'Fight for this love' but she mixed it up a bit. I was impressed.

British Single
Alesha Dixon:'Breathe Slow' - Alexandra Burke ft. Flo Rida:'Bad Boys' - Cheryl Cole:'Fight For This Love' - Joe McElderry:'The Climb' - JLS: 'Beat Again' - La Roux:'In For The Kill' - Lily Allen:'The Fear' - Pixie Lott:'Mama Do' - Taio Cruz:'Break Your Heart' - Tinchy Stryder ft. N-Dubz:'Number 1'
Again really, JLS' stylist really needs to get their act together, those suits were... just poor really. I am still in amazement that Joe McElderry was actually nominated for this, what a joke.

Mastercard British Album
Dizzee Rascal:Tongue 'N Cheek - Florence And The Machine:Lungs - Kasabian:West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum - Lily Allen:It's Not Me, It's You - Paolo Nutini: Sunny Side Up
Definitely a deserving winner of this award.

Outstanding Contribution to Music
Robbie Williams
A few people were saying that they thought that Robbie's performance went on for a bit too long but I totally disagree. I think this is the first time that this award has gone to someone whose music I'm actually really familiar with and I enjoyed his performance.

1 comment:

  1. this was very good - go to wordpress.com though.
    trust me. xxxx

    ReplyDelete