Friday 15 January 2010

AR: You Me At Six - Hold Me Down

First impressions on first listen:
I don't like it at all.
I like 'The Consequence' and fell in love with that when I first heard it back in November.
As for the rest of the album, fuck, all he does is complain. I'm currently on track 9 out of 12 and quite frankly, I'm not sure I can take much more. There are no happy songs that I can put on a party mix or anything.
I think it sounds a lot like new Paramore stuff which isn't good because I hate everything Paramore have done since their first album.
At the moment, I don't think this cd was worth the £9.99 I forked out for it.

Album artwork:
Don't like it. Nuff said. It's boring.
Something that I've noticed, the sleeve says that Aled Phillips (KIGH) features on track 11 but he actually features on track 10...

After a few listens:
I must admit that I like the album overall a lot more now that I've heard it a few times and got used to some of the songs. I'm not going to do a long and boring track-by-track review but I'll touch on a few of the songs.
Basically, this album annoys me because he just keeps banging on about how his girlfriend cheated on him and after the first couple of songs I only wish she hadn't of cheated on him because then he wouldn't have written this dreadful album. I mean serious, he complains in every single song. For me the stand out tracks are 'Underdog' and 'The Consequence' but that's only because they are the songs that sound the most like stuff on their debut album. I also quite like 'playing the blame game', 'hard to swallow' and 'safer to hate her' although Josh has miraculously regained this American twang on his voice which I find annoying. And something I really didn't like was that 'contagious chemistry' could easily have been the standout track on this record HOWEVER the entire song is ruined by the "you bitch" at the end. Very disappointing.

Comparison:
What I liked about You Me At Six and their debut album, Take off your colours, was that it had a more fun feel to it for example tracks like 'Gossip' and this second album is just totally different. Although, when saying this I do take into account that some of the songs on TOYC were written when the band members were 15-16 years old but that's what I prefer. For God's sake Josh Franceschi, stop complaining about your girlfriend and get over it.

Best track: The consequence.
Worst track: Liquid confidence.
Rating (average rating of all album tracks): 3/5

[Rock Sound: 8/10][Kerrang!: 4/5]

2 comments:

  1. The consequence - good except the bloody bridge bit.
    Undergood - good.
    Playing the blame game - rubbish.
    Stay with me - I like it I think...haven't quite decided yet.
    Safer to hate her - oh this is painful to listen to.
    Take your breath away - no no no.
    Liquid confidence - I like I like!
    Hard to swallow - alright I guess.
    Contagious chemistry - my favourite, the intro is shit but I like it a lot.
    There's no such thing as accidental chemistry - not keen at all.
    Trophy eyes - no no no no no no no not shit though.
    Fireworkds - no no DEFINITELY NO.

    Overall: Album = shit compared to take off your colours. The songs sound the same and most of them have stupid bridges that ruin the whole song. Josh needs to get rid of that stupid overly american accent and what's going on with the intros?!?! Most of them are soooo shit. I AM SO NOT IMPRESSED WITH THIS ALBUM.

    ReplyDelete